The town of Poultney has a great deal to offer families in the area. There is a wide range of recreational facilities within the town and surrounding area.
The Lake St. Catherine State Park is just a short drive from town and has a beach. There you can rent paddle boats and row boats, bring your children to the playground or have a family picnic at one of the many picnic tables complete with a charcoal barbecue grill. Visitors will find picnic areas throughout the park in both the sun and the shade. The State Park also rents campsites.
The Lake St Catherine Country Club is a beautiful 18 hole golf course located in Poultney near Lake St. Catherine. The club boosts a full-scale range, an all new clubhouse and spectacular views of the Green Mountain State. You can visit the Country club webpage at: www.lsccc.net
A Poultney Volunteer Recreation Commission sponsors several recreation programs each week during the summer that serve over 200 area children. During the summer of 2008 some of the programs that were offered to area children included, a Princess Party Camp, a toddler story time camp, sports camps including, soccer, baseball, basketball, golf, cheerleading and floor hockey, as well as science, art and nature camps that included, art adventurers, an out-door Eco camp, art and nature explorers, farming fun and crazy crafts to name a few.
The Recreation Commission is also responsible for maintaining the recreational facilities located behind the Poultney Elementary School. These facilities are located on 13 acres known as Veterans Memorial Park. The facilities include 2 tennis courts, a basketball court, 3 softball fields, a soccer field, a playground and a picnic area. Many area softball teams use these fields including area Colleges and the tennis and basketball courts are open to the general public.
In addition to the many programs that the Commission offers and the above mentioned facilities, Poultney is very fortunate to have so many wonderful organizations and recreational areas providing many extraordinary opportunities for residents and visitors of all ages. These include:
- The new Stone Valley Arts Center located in Downtown Poultney providing year round activities
- The Poultney Community League, softball and baseball
- The Poultney Vipers, youth football and cheerleading
- The Poultney Snow Mobile Club
- Pond Hill Ranch which offers trail rides and professional rodeo
- The Poultney Educational Trail located on 4.5 acres within the Village Downtown owned by the town.
- The Bird Mountain Wildlife Management Area (770 Acres)
- The Green Mountain College Deane Nature Preserve (85 Acres) with several trails and amazing views from the top of the Mountain
- The D & H Rail Trail (19.8 Acres) which is a converted railroad bed that extends from Castleton through Poultney to the New York border, providing a multi-use trail open year round to bicycling, walking, jogging, horseback riding, snowmobiling, snowshoeing, and cross country skiing.