- This event has passed.
A Service of Evening Prayer
June 7, 2014 @ 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Come join us in worship for a memorable service in an unaltered sanctuary with gated pews and stenciling. A rare experience of the genuine past.
Featuring a hand-pumped, Vermont-made organ by William Nutting circa 1840
|June 7th||Rev. Wm. Davidson St. Paul’s, Wells, Vt||James Cassarino on organ|
|June 14th||Rev. Richard F. Brewer||Emma Baker on organ|
|June 21st||Rev. Christopher David Trinity, Rutland, Vt||James Cassarino on organ (Welsh themed)|
|June 28th||Rev. Christopher David Trinity, Rutland, Vt||Natalia Czar on folk harp (Welsh repertoire)|
|July 5th||Rev. Wm. Davidson St. Paul’s, Wells, Vt||James Cassarino on organ|
|July 12th||Rev. Richard F. Brewer||Dr. Carl Schwartz on organ|
|July 19th||Rev. John Miller St. Luke’s, Fair Haven, Vt||Heather Munch on organ|
|July 26th||Rev. John Miller St. Luke’s, Fair Haven, Vt||Dr. Karl Moyer on organ|
|August 2nd||Rev. Richard F. Brewer||Dr. Karl Moyer on organ|
|August 9th (East Poultney Day)||Rev. Wm. Davidson St. Paul’s, Wells, Vt||Dr. Karl Moyer on organ|
|August 16th||Rev. Christopher David Trinity, Rutland, Vt||Jacinda Brown on flute|
|August 23rd||Rev. Christopher David Trinity, Rutland, Vt||Natalia Czar on folk harp|
|August 30th||Rev. Wm. Davidson St. Paul’s, Wells, Vt||Nancy Surette on guitar|
Historic Church to Reopen
A rare opportunity is offered this summer to worshipers, historians, musicians and lovers of early Vermont . For months a group of residents has been planning for the reopening of
very special St. John’s Church on Route 140 in East Poultney for summer Saturday services. Untouched and unchanged it is one of the two churches from the early 1800s surviving in this village.
Located across from the village green, which is dominated by the stately United Baptist church, St. John’s is a fine example of classic New England Carpenter Gothic. It retains its gated pews, kerosene lamps, stenciled walls and a rare, hand-pumped, organ made by Vermonter, William Nutting, which dates from the 1840s.
The cornerstone of St. John’s was laid May 27, 1831. The first services were held a year later, May 27, 1832. The first Episcopal Bishop of Vermont, the Rt. Rev. John Henry Hopkins,
presided at the consecration of the building.
When the church was erected East Poultney was booming. It boasted two large inns, mills along the Poultney River, a debating society and a library. Clarks, Hughes, Lewises, Thralls, Teetors, rest in the adjacent St. John’s Cemetery, families still in Poultney, or as many, who left only to return, who are a testimony to continuity. Horace Greeley here learned the printing trade, later to found the Tribune in New York City. George Jones, of Poultney, started the New York Times.
The arrival of the railroad moved the center of town activity West, and members of St. John’s church built another Episcopal church, Trinity Church, in the new hub in the 1860s. St. John’s held regular services until 1931. After that the old church opened only once a year for an annual service of worship. Since the closing and sale of Trinity Church, attention is again focused on St. John’s Church, not only due to its quality as a historical treasure, but also as a place for continuing worship in the Episcopal tradition. The building is also a resource which may be offered to the community.
With this in mind St. John’s Church will be opened as a summer chapel with weekly worship services every Saturday from June 7 through August. Evening Prayer will be led by local
Episcopal clergy and the rich notes of the original organ will accompany hymns at many services. Three outstanding organists have volunteered to play at the services. At other times music will be by violin, flute, guitar and folk harps. At least one service is planned around the Welsh heritage so prevalent in the Poultney area and will include Welsh elements.
The first service at St. John’s Church will be held at 4:00 p.m. Saturday, June 7th . Members of the newly formed executive committee of the Church stress that the services are open to all, and all are encouraged to join them as they usher in this new phase in the life of this venerable, old house of worship.
For further information, please call Ida Mae Johnson (802 287 9744) Chair of St. John’s Executive Committee, or The Rev. William A. Davidson (518 499 1850), Vicar.